Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gooey Butter Cake

I thought today, I would share one of my favorite recipe's with everyone. It is "Gooey Butter Cake". There are two things that make this cake one of my all time favorites. First of all, it is soooooo sweet and good. In fact, it is really more of a cake to have with coffee, rather than as a dessert. Secondly, it is SUPER inexpensive! It's origin is said to be St. Louis, Missouri. In the 1930's a German baker was making a cake. He goofed up his recipe, and mistakenly created the Gooey Butter Cake!

This is the only picture I have right now! I plan on making another one to enjoy with my coffee while cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

There are many different variations of this cake floating around out there. This is just the simple, no frills recipe.



Mix together; 1 yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, and 1 stick of melted butter. Spread into an ungreased 9x13 pan.

Mix together; 8 oz cream cheese, 1 pound of powdered sugar, and 2 eggs. Spread over the cake mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-35 minutes. It is done when the center surface is beginning to brown slightly.


This photo is from the Hollyberry Baking Company. That's it! I must confess, that I do not under any circumstances like cream cheese, but I love this cake! I tend to cook mine a bit longer than is necessary to "harden" it up some. If you love cream cheese, go ahead and take it out of the oven just when the center begins to brown. It is best if you can let it cool completely before serving. This gives it a chance to "set up" a bit.



I've read recipes that add a can of pumpkin to the cream cheese mixture, and some that add vanilla, or chocolate chips. This is a pretty flexible recipe, so go ahead and experiment with it! I've always thought that adding a bit of lemon juice to the cheese would be good too!

Edited on 11-19-08
Just wanted to add a few things to the recipe to help out all of you lovely bloggers from abroad!

What is a Yellow Cake Mix? Really it is just a basic cake. The difference between our White Cake Mix (boxed dried cake mix) and the Yellow Cake Mix, is white cake mixes do not use the yolks of the eggs. Yellow Cake Mixes call for the use of the yolks. They are generally lighter than a pound cake, but heavier than a sponge cake. Here is a picture of our boxed yellow cake mix.

If you want to make the yellow cake from scratch, here is an easy recipe. I've altered the recipe to compare to a boxed mix, that being said, you DON"T want to use this recipe for an ordinary cake that you will just bake and frost.


Here is a picture of our stick butter. One stick of butter is equal to:
1 stick of BUTTER = 1/2 Cup or 2 dl or 2 oz or 60 g.

I hope this helps answer any questions! Thanks for looking everyone!

7 comments:

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

yum, I think I'd like to try it with the pumpkin!

Kerri said...

Thanks for checking out my blog and entering my contest! MMM, that cake does look good and I think I'll try it! You have a very fun blog-I'll be back!

sassy stephanie said...

Oh man. With a name like that, you know this HAS to be a yummy cake!

Thanks for sharing in my SITS day with me!

Dawn said...

Hi Cassie
Oh my this looks scrummy!
Some questions though - what do you mean by a stick of butter - how much would that be roughly...
And..... what is yellow cake mix - don't think we have that here.....
Thanks

Dawn

Dawn said...

Thanks so much Cassie have taken down the recipe now!! Yum!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.