Saturday, November 22, 2008

Monkey Bread Recipe

I thought I would post the recipe that I use for Monkey Bread. There are a lot of different ways to make this I believe. This is just about the simplest one I have ever found though. I don't really measure anything when I make it, so these are guess-timates (I think they are close enough though).


I baked this in a round non-stick cake pan, coated with cooking spray (you can use butter also).

2 cans of biscuits (I used Pillsbury Buttermilk refrigerated can biscuits-the small ones-10 to a can)
Cut each raw biscuit into 4 pieces.

1/2 Cup granulated (white) sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon
Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a zip lock bag or bowl. Toss the biscuit pieces (a few at a time) to coat them with the mixture. Throw the coated pieces into your cake pan.

1/4 cup margarine or butter and 1/2 cup of brown sugar
Melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat (stirring constantly) until butter is completely dissolved, keep stirring until it is smooth. This only takes a couple of minutes. Once it's melted, pour it evenly over the biscuits.

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 12 minutes. Let it cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then turn it out onto a plate or serving platter. The bite size pieces just "pull apart" from the rest!

You can also sprinkle in some nuts, or raisins before you pour the brown sugar mixture over it.

This is an easy recipe to "play around" with. When you are coating the biscuit pieces, you may need to add a little bit more cinnamon half way through. The earlier pieces seem to really "soak up" the cinnamon quite a bit. If you don't have any brown sugar on hand, you can mix granulated sugar with a bit of molasses.

5 comments:

Lannae Johnson said...

You were reading my mind...thanks for the recipe!!!

Picket said...

Ohhhh we love ooooey gooooey finger licking food! Thanks for the recipe..I'll have to try those! Hope you are having a fantastic weekend and that you & yours have a glorious Thanksgiving!

Dawn said...

Aww Cassie
Thanks for this - your recipes are so great!

Hugs
Dawn

Lesley said...

found you through SITS...I love a good monkey bread...and that looks super yummy...and love the christmas video...super sass...

Queenie Jeannie said...

I make this EVERY Christmas morning!! My family loves it!!!