Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sweet Cracker Sandwich, It's Over!


Well, it's over! I made it through the first of the two longest days of the year. My dysfunctional busy family's Thanksgiving was celebrated today. My Mom has to work tomorrow, and my brother and sister-in-law go to her Moms house for the holidays. My Aunt is out of town, so we just got it all over with today. It wasn't a bad day. It was mostly predictable, with one surprise! My nieces (who I never get to see) showed up at Mom's, and we got to visit with them for several hours. My brother showed up 3 hours late (this was no surprise). My sister-in-law showed up 3 hours and 15 minutes late (this was no surprise either). Here was our menu:
Turkey
Dressing
Mashed Potatoes
Noodles
Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Corn
Yams
Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry Relish
Dinner Rolls

Pumpkin Pie
Coconut Cream Pie
Chocolate Cake (my Mother insisted that I make, that nobody ate...predicted)

I'm Thankful that we all were able to get together. It means a lot to my Mother. Our holiday traditions have fallen to the wayside over the past 10 years, and "making it happen" on Thanksgiving and Christmas is almost always a chore. My brother has never been on time to one single dinner in the history of family dinners!


However...tomorrow I am FREE! I plan to get up whenever I want...have my coffee and hot chocolate...watch the parade...eat pie for breakfast...eat leftovers all day long...and watch football in the afternoon! It will be a glorious day!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving,
Cassie

4 comments:

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

You're lucky. I still have my Thanksgiving to sludge through with MY family...ugh! So do you get to keep the chocolate pie you made that nobody ate?

Happy Thanksgiving! And enjoy the parade and the leftovers!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Happy Thanksgiving hun!

All my baking was accomplished yesterday, and today is the cooking. It is pure, sweet torture smelling the turkey in the oven. It's a MONSTER BIRD!! Yay for turkey leftovers!!!!

Enjoy your day!

Mindi said...

wait--seriously? SERIOUSLY three hours late? did you wait for him? that is insane.

i like to wait for latecomers like one pig waits for another--which is THEY DON'T!!

happy non-turkey day to you today!

Melissa Valeriote said...

Happy Thanksgiving...belated...

Your "planned" day sound like Heaven. Enjoy! I'll be in that kitchen all day.

P.S. Coconut Cream Pie for Thanksgiving...YUM!!!